There is evidence that knowledge of the structure (rhetorical organisation) of a text facilitates comprehension and recall.
In order to facilitate readability consider:
- Indicating what type of text it is;
- Summarising main problem and solution, or cause and effect;
- Using graphic organisers to indicate route through the text;
- Highlighting high level propositions;
- Ensuring that clues to rhetorical organisation are clear e.g. The first point is… In conclusion…;
- Adding graphical clues such as headings, paragraph indentation, numbering.